Hamburg started out in the 800’s as a moated fortress called, “Hammaburg.” Hamburg is Germany’s second largest city after Berlin. It is also known as Germany’s, “Gateway to the World.” A small harbour was first mentioned in the 9th century – Hamburg, a town with 200 residents, used the 120 meter long wooden jetty for long-distance trade. Archbishop Adaldag granted the citizens of Hamburg the right to hold markets in 937. Parallel to this the Hamma-burg (Hamma Fortress), destroyed 100 years previously by Danish Vikings, was rebuilt.
There were harbour facilities in the Nikolaifleet area as early as 1188; the official birth of Hamburg Port took place, however, on 7th May 1189, when Emperor Frederick Barbarossa guaranteed Hamburg privileges such as customs-free travel along the lower Elbe to the North Sea and the right to hold markets in an imperial charter. More about Hamburg can be found at: